Blog Archive

Monday, September 21, 2015

First Impressions: Dandelion & Driftwood @ Hendra

Dandelion & Driftwood Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato
It's not that often that I venture out to a coffee shop and it's not that I don't love coffee because I really do it's just that I tend to be eating breakfast at home which almost always contains a coffee so when I do get out it's usually for lunch or dinner.

Sometimes though it's nice to find a good coffee shop and one that's close by to where you live is always a good thing, that's where Dandelion & Driftwood comes in.

Located on Brisbane's often forgotten North-side, down an inconspicuous (but very pretty) suburban street this small, quaint coffee shop sits.

It was a weekday when we visited and fairly late morning so there wasn't a lot of people but I imagine on a weekend morning this venue gets full fairly fast.

There is a couple of tables out the front, a few out the back in a courtyard area and a few two seater tables and one big bench inside.

It was a warm day so we chose to sit inside with the air-con and ordered a coffee to start.

Dandelion is a full on legit coffee shop with it's own blends and roastery and if like me you don't really know the in's and outs of coffee this can seem overwhelming but a short chat with the friendly staff will sort out a blend appropriate to your palate.

If nothing else a visit to Dandelion has made me hungry for a full education on all thing's coffee especially as a lot of the bitterness, grassy and earthy tones feed into beer's malt characters.

Now it's not just about Coffee there is also a nice range of Teas and a fairly extensive food menu for such a small venue!

I'd been craving a good waffle lately so we decided to order both a savoury and a sweet to share.

We chose the First Crack which was a cheese and chive waffle served with bacon, rocket, blend smoked honey and cream cheese and I can tell you that it was hands down the best waffle I have ever had and I can't wait to go back for it again.


Our sweet choice was the 'Extract the Sweetness' which was a delicious fluffy waffle with sliced banana and house-made caramel fudge sauce with vanilla ice-cream. I'm not a huge fan of banana but the combination with the caramel and the ice-cream made this pretty amazing.

I'm glad it was a quiet day when we visited as it was great to chat to Peter about the business, blend smoked honey and even a little bit about the relationship that coffee and beer has.

Can't wait to pick another quiet mid-week day or late weekend morning to visit again and can't believe that I hadn't been to Dandelion before now!


No comments:

Post a Comment